Sunday, January 31, 2010

Superman

My father and I are very close. From an early age I have memories of his constant involvement in my life. Cheerleading competitions, dance competitions, school, and you name it and he was always there for me.



I can remember fishing trips with Dad and my brother. Days in advance, we would get our poles and tackle ready, pack our food, and dream of catching the largest fish in the lake. The big day would arrive and we would get up before the sun, pile into the car, and begin the long journey.


The road that led to the lake was full of hills; my family called it the “bumpy road.” My dad would drive fast just so we would all get butterflies in our stomachs. It was a blast. Just imagine the scene: the sun shining brightly, the car windows down, and a father and his kids whooping and hollering in sheer delight as they speed along a country road. For a kid, life cannot get any better. I will never forget the fun we shared on those trips.



My dad and I would sit down on a rock every time we went on this trip. We would talk about our family and the things in life that I was most thankful for. He would ask me some questions. My dad would tell me how thankful he was for me. He told me how much I meant to him and that he would love me no matter what I did or who I would become. I knew my father loved me. I felt so safe like I could stay there on that rock forever. I knew my dad loved me for who I was, and his love made me feel secure. I am able to trust my dad because he is a man of his word. I know that he loves me not only because he says so but also because he shows me his love in many different ways. My dad gave me his full attention whenever he was with me. He is the best dad in the entire world.


Word of wisdom: everybody wants a little attention once in a while.

2 comments:

Ren29 said...

I feel the same way about my dad. He has always been there for me no matter what I was doing. He always makes sure to give me time to talk to him if i ever need to talk. Even now with everything that is going on.

Cap'n Fatback said...

Schmitz--

Some very nice sentiment about your father. And what a great picture! Was that taken before prom? Remind me how to show you all how to do a picture caption.

I'm a little confused. You speaker of your father in both the present and past tense here: "I knew my dad loved me for who I was, and his love made me feel secure. I am able to trust my dad because he is a man of his word. I know that he loves me not only because he says so but also because he shows me his love in many different ways. My dad gave me his full attention whenever he was with me."

You are still close, correct?