Monday, January 11, 2010

Cheap or Expensive happiness?

When I was a sophomore in high school I found my true passion. Most girls hated gym class me I didn’t mind it. It was a Monday morning at second period. Our gym was about 4700 square feet. The gym also hand our mascot the bulldog on both ends of the shorter end walls. On this particular day the bleachers were out that’s unusual. They are usually pushed in when we have gym class.
As I got ready for gym class two boys came in. They weren’t your everyday boys they were different. These two boys had disabilities. They didn’t need wheelchairs to walk. They had mental disabilities. When told directions verbally they didn’t to a certain extent understand what they needed to do. So they had an aid help them and direct them in the right direction.


When we finished playing basketball there was fifteen minutes left in the class. The two boys keep playing basketball I went over and rebounded for them. They were so nice and excited that I wanted to help. On this day I realized being happy does not have to be expensive.
After this day I began to feel very blessed for what I was giving. I realized that some people are worse off than me. Those people who are worse off than me I should help them as much as I possibly can. On this Monday I decided that I wanted to help kids with disabilities out. I asked the aid how I could get involved and she told me how. I went down to their classroom after I finished lunch and I would work with the students in there with one on one activities, helping the teacher out, and working with the students.
Following the next year I realized that I fell in love with helping these students. I was happy and my happiness was not expensive. All my happiness cost me was a little bit of my time. All the time I put in for these students was worth it. Just seeing them smile when they finally understood what I was teaching them. All of that hard work was enough to make me happy and I didn’t have to buy some expensive fancy car.

Word of wisdom: Happiness does not have to be expensive.

4 comments:

Hillblogger said...

I really like your blog because it shows that you are a good person and that you really like to help people. I dont have a problem helping people I do it all the time and your right it can make a person happy.

Something that is cheap and keeps me happy is chilling with my family. we usually dont do much but its cheap and we always have fun. We usually go on walks some were but since its col outside we usually just stay inside at somebodies house. Then we usually eat all the food in the house.

Ren29 said...

I agree with you. You don't have to spend a lot of money on something for you to be happy. It seems to me that the things that really make me happy are the things that don't cost anything at all. Like just spending time with your friends and family can give you the greatest times and they usually don't cost anything at all. At my old high school they had something similar where you could help out with the kids in the school that had disabilities. I helped out once a week, and it felt really rewarding. It seemed that whenever I went in to help and talked to the kids they were always so happy that someone wanted to talk to them. I made me really happy that I could help out.

Ren29 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cap'n Fatback said...

Interesting--

I almost expected the wisdom here to be about "difference"; it just goes to show how many interpretations any individual story can produce. Rock on.

I'd advise that you work on getting the paragraph breaks right.

DJB